Sunday 6 April 2014

In great need of a Posterior Pause !!!!

Brisk walk before breakfast today, then changed into bike kit, end of the street - right or left, east or west - big choice.      Unfortunately I headed west on the A702 towards Abington and into the rain, mist and winds.  At Abington, instead of taking the M74 South, I chose the A74 which runs parallel, superb, only one motor going my way and he was behind me till he turned off at Crawford.  Road was fast and at times I was keeping pace with vehicles on the adjacent M74.  At Beatock it was onto the A701 and into Moffat.  I found that the Selkirk road had reopened after being closed for some time just outside Moffat due to a landslide,  so onwards, into the wet, with a tail wind and wound my way eastwards through the valley towards St Mary's Loch - a bit hairy at times with lots of water, mud and debris on the road.   This was second time unlucky,  by the time I reached the waterfall , grey Mare's tail, it was impossible to see and photograph it due to the rain and mist.   On my last run by St Mary's Loch the weather was calm and I took a couple of great photos, however, not the case today - really disappointing.  Did consider heading on to Selkirk, but by the time I got to the Gordon Arms it was a left turn and over the moors to Innerleithen where I was surrounded by lots of mountain bikers who were taking part in a Enduro event.   Change of route, not to Peebles this time, but cut off through the Golf Course and then over the "Granits" towards Heriot and Middleton.  Wonders will never cease, and the sun actually came out drying the road for about thirteen miles before the rain came on again. Right up on the top of the hills I stopped to check out on a cyclist who had stopped. The young lad had cycled all the way from Edinburgh via Peebles to Innerleithen, watched the Enduro event and was then heading back to the City via Gorebridge - really keen soul. 
At this point I turned off my accustomed route, taking a back road,  however, some kind person had turned round a few of the road signs !!!  so I ended up on some rather narrow farm roads, following the sun through farm yards, until I eventually arrived in Temple Village, previously known as Ballantraddock, and one of the bases used by the Knights Templars after their being hunted out of France. The church there is used annually for a service of remembrance.
Took fifteen minutes to get from Temple back to Penicuik and home.   Round trip was 110 miles with only one stop for a much needed posterior break - going to have to review the seating on the bike as my experimental gel pad does not seem to be fit for purpose.



No comments: