Saturday 29 August 2015

Kenny Allan.

Really sorry to hear of the death of a former colleague and latterly "Boss"  Kenny Allan who passed away on 23rd in Peebles.

When I joined Lothian and Peebles in 1966 Kenny was a PC in the Traffic Department at Dalkeith and took me out for my driver assessment before I could drive a Panda car.  On the drive I kept hitting manhole covers on the road, along Seafield Road I think, and he said that if I hit another he would hit me !!   He  had a bit of a fiery temper to say the least.  later he came to Penicuik on promotion and was one of the two station Sergeants,   again his temper at times got the better of him and one day he lost the plot with someone on the phone in the booth in the office, thumped the bakelite phone back on its cradle and the whole lot shattered - even Mrs Watson the typist fled the building.
He was a scratch golfer and I heard a tale of him playing golf with Ian Nimmo, fluffed a putt, threw his club in the air where it lodges in the branches of a tree - and as Nimmo rolled about laughing Kenny was chasing him !!!

Ken eventually ended up as Chief Superintendent, Divisional Commander of E Division at Dalkeith, where I was based so I had daily contact with him, a good boss.    Somewhere, if I can find it I have a photograph of him and Yvonne Murray, who was helping me with a project,  she came up to Dalkeith and brought her Commonwealth Games medal to show to us.    RIP.

No comments: