Thursday 2 January 2020

At least the sun shines in Dubai

Despite the fact it is not too cold here, the wind is blowing the rain sideways and it is just plain "dreich".  On the other hand our friends in Dubai are enjoying very pleasant weather, which makes for a good holiday destination.    But,  for me lovely city, with incredible cultural differences,  from the Gold Souk, and old City, to the ultra modern modern central city and the towering Burj Khalifa, which at 2717 feet (828 M) is the tallest building in the World .  Our taxi driver seemed to think that there will be an even taller building in the near future ( The Jeddah Tower in Saudi Arabia opens this year and will be 236 feet taller than the Burj Khalifa)  costing $1.5 billion.    The Burj tower was featured in one of the Mission Impossible movies with Tom Cruise hanging on outside the building.     For a fee you can visit the Tower and take the express lift up to about floor 148 -   Not for me I am afraid:  buildings this tall do not amuse me,  a mountain that height no worries, but the thought of this toppling kind of worries me.
I stayed at the Hyatt Regency, near the harbour and Gold Souk, and was quite happy to dine in the Revolving Restaurant on floor twenty five, perfect, with excellent views and a superb dining experience.
While the rest of the World is being forced to look at alternative power options for cars, the locals are using petrol which costs less than bottled water, so there were plenty of large and top of the range models to be seen
I suspect I would have needed a bit more credit on my "plastic" to afford any of the above !!!   Just need to stick with "the Steed of Steel" meantime.

No comments: