Thursday 28 March 2013

East Coast Rail, 1st Class travel - maybe

Heading southwards on the East Coast train, and if I was driving at this speed I would have clocked several speed cameras so far.   However, what a change to be sitting comfortable, glass of the vino tinto to hand, although not quite so impressed with the food arrangements.  Found it a bit strange to be offered a sandwich at 10.15 as we left Edinburgh,  which, if accepted was our  only sustenance on the trip - so we held off -  a bit different from the West Coast line where I had umpteen sandwiches on my trips to Manchester.  Staff come up and down with the trolly, but only to see to those who have just boarded. Crisps were nice though !!.
The
Thought we were heading to Euston Station when I was looking for a hotel,  but it is Kings Cross we go into,  good job that the hotel I booked is mid way between the two, or I WOULD HAVE BEEN IN REAL TROUBLE.
Staff quite nice on the train, although our drinks steward got a row for being too chatty by his colleagues. Nice to be nice as they say.
Looking forward to checking out the streets paved with gold, seeing Dick Whittington, and maybe even the Queen if she is at home, and whatever -   got a nice elderly lady in the carriage, complete with mobile phone - and everyone knows where she is going and who she is meeting !!

Steward just lost his Gold Star, said he was going to give me a top up on his way back and forgot.

Looking out at the fields here as we pass,  what a difference a few hundred miles makes with regards to the growth of crops, etc,  but still a fair bit of snow around.   From what I can see, looks like Penicuik was a lot better off than here.
Now looking forward to the next two days.

No comments: