Friday 8 December 2017

Eddie Anderson, RIP

I attended the funeral service of one of my former colleagues yesterday.  Eddie Anderson, who I worked with for a number of years at Penicuik,  He retired twenty eight years ago, but sadly passed away in the ERI after a short illness.    Eddie was a keen bowler and he and I used to play at the Penicuik private Bowling Club, and also took part in many Police competitions.  I remember playing in a pairs competition at Grangemouth years ago and we were playing the Scottish Champions and managing to keep our nose ahead.    The heavens opened and the other rinks cleared however Eddie said that we would stay on and keep playing. Our opponents were not happy and as the rain belted down we drew ahead and eventually won the match.  Our opponents were jeered off the green by their compatriots, so they took the huff and took off !!!  seriously dischuffed.   
In the days before composition bowls, Eddie had a set of "woods", one which had literally no bias and which would do a right or left turn in its last few inches of run, thus turning round behind lying bowls, the number of games Eddie won with that bowl.
He and I both used to walk our dogs with us when on the night shift, him with Dawn, a German Shepherd and me with Goldie, a golden lab.   I am sure the local worthies thought they were properly trained as they gave us a wide berth.  One morning we left Goldie in the office while we took Dawn home,  however when we got back Goldie had wrecked the office - that certainly caused me a lot of grief.   Eddie had a lovely family who he was so proud of,  I am sure they will all miss him.   RIP

No comments: