Saturday 2 October 2010

Getting to the London Wall, Loriner's Hall and The Willis Tower






















Had a very good flight to London last night and with “Oor Willie” waiting at the airport we were soon home in Egham and quickly to bed.
Restless night, worried about sleeping in, and then it was up and away sharp to get the 7.10 train into London – no problems that bit, then it was a case of out at Waterloo and then underground and into the tube system - fascinating as I had to take the City – Waterloo tube which only runs between Bank and Waterloo, non stop, a distance of about one and a half miles, and takes only four minutes - jam packed, with some folks being left on the platform, but not long to wait.
Out at Bank and changed lines to go to Moorgate Station - bit of a surprise when a young chap got up and gave me his seat – I must be looking my age !!! Very nice of him but it was only for the one stop.
Out at Moorgate and along the road towards the London Museum, along the route of the old London City wall, and that’s where it all went stuck - no sign of my destination !!! zapped by aliens perhaps, no - just me having got it very wrong.
I had just past a plaque marking the site of Loriner's Hall ( he web site about the history of The Worshipful Company of Loriners - is very interesting dating back to the 1200's)
I then had to go into a big office block where the very nice and helpful Reception staff sorted out where I was supposed to be going, about a mile away, and produced a map for me to follow. So there I was trotting along the road, right past Bank Station which I had just gone through and changed trains forty minutes earlier//
Did not take it long and there I was at the Willis Tower Building, which was one of the tallest buildings in London, in the City and not far from “The gherkin” big tower wit criss crossed panels – what a contrast between it and the old buildings surrounding it.

No comments: