Saturday 18 December 2010

Old friends and acquaintences


Friday, so much for having a day off, I was busy in the bank when RGB called seeking help, as one of his staff had called off due to a family emergency. So off I headed to town, and arrived at the NCP ice rink, which is obviously in competition to the Winter Wonderland rink in the Princes Street Gardens.
Tried to pay my money but machine was playing silly sods and I had to leave and ended up parking elsewhere for free. Spoke the the wheel clamper !!! in the car park who was sticking a fixed penalty ticket on an untaxed car - lucky white heather.
Round to the Mercat Bar where Go Jo's ma and Gran were taking preparing themselves for an afternoon's shopping. Seated nearby was my mate Dan the Man and his nephew, young Graham - and having just spoken to Danny the night before it was a surprise to see him. Next in, David Mackay - fresh from his trip south from Inverness, long time no see, and there he was, the master of Pentland Coppercraft, producer of RGB's recent trophy. Dan, the memory man even remembered having had a session of pool in David's house a long, long time ago when he lived in Edinburgh.
The rest of the group arrived, led by my best man, Grahame Mackay of GM Pest Control for their X-mas dinner - really nice to see the lads again (kodak moment), and to cap it all I had taken in a photo album of his daughter's wedding - where we all looked a bit younger, thinner and apart from David had more hair.
Day progressed, very busy with tables being turned round regularly for new diners in for X-mas dinners and parties.
A total surprise when four diners arrived and the gentleman, grabbed my hand and introduced himself - I had not seen him for at least thirty years - turned out to be Douglas Woods whose father was my first Sgt when I joined the police here at Loanhead in 1966. Douglas had found this blog some time ago and has followed it, reading the occasional tales of my days as a young PC in Loanhead. He had his wife, daughter and son in law with him and were celebrating is wife's birthday today ( 25 again) - they enjoyed the steaks.
His dad, Willie Woods was a big bloke, an ex Scot's Guard who joined Edinburgh City Police from the army and then transferred over to the old Lothian and Peebles Constabulary. As a young PC I had to do a probationer training in the form of memorising a Q /A sheet and he make me stand to attention at the desk while he asked me the Questions on each test sheet - and god help me when I got things wrong !! He was of the old school Police - if a local upset us they were barred from all the pubs, clubs, etc in Loanhead, Roslin and Bilston, and had to keep coming in to the Police Station "cap in hand" eating humble pie until the Sgt decided the ban would be lifted.
The other brother, William, who now lives in Haddington, got into "terrible !!!" trouble with his mother when I caught him riding his bike without lights !! Changed days to now when having lights on a bike is a rare occurrence. For William's information the name I was thinking about, another ex PC, now living in Haddington is Neil Forbes.
Talking of cyclists - me - there I was this morning, pavements like skating rinks, roads not better, temperature about -5C, me in the car, hiking boots, jackets, leggings, hat, gloves etc -appropriate to the weather in Penicuik - and there, in Morningside Road at 6.45 a.m. I passed a cyclist - no lights on and wearing shorts - fruitcake.
Mind you - squeaking noises from the TV, radio, etc give the impression that those residents in the UK living South of the Watford Gap are getting a taste of the weather we had here last week. Next thing we will have something done about the fuel shortages and the companies who are hiking up electric, gas and fuel prices to make a fast buck out of folks misery. I do not think the eco warrior types will happy up their trees in this weather - time to retreat, draw the dole and wait for better weather.

No comments: