Tuesday 6 September 2011

Hot on the trail once again.

Busy couple of days to keep me out of mischief - down at The Dolphin Inn, then home and back out again.


Last night I headed for the town to go to an IPA meeting, but stopped off at the main library in George IV Bridge to do a bit of research!!!








On my way there I had stopped off at Parliament Square and spotted the date blocks on the ground which indicate the various periods of Edinburgh's history.


The statue of the Duke of Buccleuch, is adjacent, however as it pretty ornate and well worth a good look I am going back to have another look and find out a bit more about it and its many panels.










My research in the library was in connection with the paving stone engraved withe the name BLAIKIE at 38 Queen Street outside Duncanson's shop. I found out that there was an antique dealer and furniture shop there in 1895 owned by a J B Blaikie, who even lived above the shop but that was shown as being entered by 65 Frederick Street. So far I do not think that this is any connection with me - however I did find records relating to my Grandfather at 2 Perth Street, and his sister who owned a tobacconist shop in 25 Rose Street ( which is now part of Milne's Bar). This lady later moved to 6 Queen Street (in 1916) which was new information to me, so work to be done. I also founds records relating to other relatives dating from 1919 so I need to do more research and cross referencing soon.


Bit of a rush heading for the Police Club at York Place but I detoured via No 6 Queen Street, and took the attached photo for my history book.

Next stop was the Police Club in York Place where we had our monthly meeting of the Edinburgh Branch of the International Police Association, more news of visits to the City by members from overseas - next groups are Danish, with one staying for a wee "doo" we are having on 16th inst.








No comments: