Sunday 6 July 2014

The Steed of Steel has a collapse.

Another lovely morning here in Wrexham, so looks like another ride out into the Welsh countryside.

Yesterday,(Sat) we left in a convoy, fifteen bikes, and our leader took us out into the wilds,  we had about one mile on a dual carriageway and the remainder on everything from single track roads to the A5 - long sweeping bends, tight corners, through the mountains of Capel Curig,past the National Moutaineering Centre at Plas y Brennan,   the white water centre; mountain railways, copper mines, and some beautiful lakes and reservoirs.    Stopped at Lyn Brenig reservoir and visitor centre, then in the picturesque village of Beddgelen for lunch.
Only a few miles back on the road when disaster struck, my Garmin Sat Nav popped off the mounting on a really potholed piece of road, and I did not realise what had happened for a few minutes,  stopped had words with my following bike who had seen it but could not stop me due to the roads.    I went back and had a look but no trace ,it could have been anywhere and is likely to be in bits.     I had wisely marked up the route on a new road atlas so I knew where I was and how to get home, old style. So set off,  taking my time, admiring the views and at one point thought I had intercepted the group who were running a figure of eight route -  so sat at Betws-y-Coed for half an hour.  No luck so set off along he A5 towards Wrexham.
Had a "senior moment" and thought I was heading in the wrong direction - despite having the sun on my back !!  (heading east)   so pulled in to recheck the map - and like a friend of mine did recently, lost my footing and the Steed of Steel hit the deck (gently) no damage other than pride.  However I did have to flag down a passing motorcyclist who helped get it up again.  Thereafter a slow run, even saw the steam train on the Llangollen Railway .   End of the day made it back to the hotel about 25 minutes before the main group.
Headed out as a group for a meal - not a good choice "Frankie and Bennies" where we had three different tables -  place being busy our meal was eighty minutes in arriving and steak was "chuck" so it was not eaten.

Wrexham town centre was bouncing with activity, lots of scantily clad young ladies ,  semi drunk, police and bouncers at all the pubs.  We spoke to three Police who said that come midnight it would be wild with fights and drunks.   Bit too old for that so home to bed.

No comments: