Saturday 4 June 2011

The dream lasted 36 hours - I think


Thursday a.m. , no sun, took to my bed, and then - was it real, a big shining sun in the sky and a nice shade of blue very rare to this part of the world - would it last, was it real? So like everyone else I was out there in the garden, listening to the birds, catching a few rays, etc and of course all had to be curtailed for the evenings session of BGT (Britain's Got Talent) - hope the Queen has been looking in to see all these foreign acts desperate to win the £100,000 to add to their state benefits !!!! never mind, I did fall asleep eventually and like many when I awoke on Friday, it was still there, the sun - too much - am I dreaming, was I dreaming - no , I have the sunburn to prove it!!! But as they say, all good things must come to an end and this morning it was back to the status quo - no need to water the garden, no worries about a hose pipe ban or drought here.
STOP PRESS - just been blown away listening to the 12 year old American girl who won the USA version of BGT, Jackie Evencho, totally mind blowing, what a voice, it was no wonder one of the USA judges said she was like an alien when she opened her mouth and this fantastic adult operatic voice burst forth from such a tiny person.
I had planned on having a quiet day at home, number crunching, shuffling paper, yawn, yawn, however a short phone call changed my plans and I ended up back at the Western General Hospital, as a visitor to see my Uncle Walter and either cheer him up or cause a relapse. Walter, still a young 88 year old is still very keen on all sorts of motor sports and even made it to Silverstone last year for the British F1 Grand Prix. He was interested to hear about my recent photographs of the rocket car, the Red Bull F1, and especially the sidecar combination from The Dolphin Inn, now in the Isle of Man for the TT. As a youngster I remember my father taking me to see him in Edinburgh and Walter taking me for a spin round the block on the back of his motorcycle - no helmet, but who cared !! Anyway - he was looking good, enjoying the food, the relative peace and quiet and will hopefully be home soon.
The great tram debate continues with work on repairing the unused 500 yards of track along Princes Street being put on hold rather than disrupt the Festival tourists. I think there should be a ban on pedal cycles who are obviously responsible for the damage to the tracks, but they need to keep an eye on the tracks as our local scrap metal thieves might well target them having stripped the lead off most of the church roofs in Edinburgh - I do not think the scrap value will be anything near the £430 million spent so far, otherwise the Council's property folk would have had it dug up and flogged off.
Back to The Mercat Bar to meet Mrs B. and remind the staff what I looked like, having been inabsentia for the past few months, had my Sunday roast (roast pork) a day early, and then headed up to see Sir Christopher and Miss Talk a lot at Hendricks Bar - had a tottie wee tipple and headed home to browse the web and get stressed over BGT - I like the Scottish singer Jai - but only the public vote will tell, and guess what - HE DID = well deserved.

No comments: