Thursday 6 October 2011

Technophobia - a modern illness, or just a sign of the times

Life used to be so simple - when your slate was full you wiped off the chalk, or when the pen ran out you filled up the inkwell, or filled up the pen, or even just sharpened the pencil when it got blunt. Now we have Computers !!! and you either need to be a child or have a degree to work them, Letter writing was simple and straightforward, put words on paper, put paper in envelope, stamp (which used to be cheap) on envelope, and pop same in post box. Now we have internet, broadband, ethernet, etc., and when it goes wrong - call out an engineer - or in my case fling the lot in the bin.
Do not get me wrong, it was not a bad day, just awful (technically)- but in the great picture of things, just minor irritation, trivia in fact -when you compare my problems with those of Allison, Claire, Mrs Johnston, and many others, every hour of every day.
It rained, we had hail stones, the wind blew, God was shaking the trees, was he angry ?? not sure - perhaps it was the tail of the hurricane we had been promised - an ill divided world, some have rain, others flooding, some have sunshine, others famine and dust bowls - whoever invented this planet did not want our life to be unexciting - we thrive on challenges so they say!!
Total change of tack before I head to my comfy wee bed, do I feel guilt thinking of those who will sleep under the stars tonight - perhaps, but if we did we might find life unbearable so we just return to our own mental cocoon. No - I have to comment on last night's cultural offering on the TV, my alter ego - Rab C. Nesbitt, citizen of Govan, City of Glasgow, beloved and endearing husband of Mary Doll. What a laugh, nice to see him nearly back to his old self again. If you missed it, sorry - my treat, and I cannot wait for next weeks offering.

No comments: