Monday 30 April 2012

On Yer Bike!! must be joking

Those who have already checked today will have wondered what was wrong ?   4 30 a.m. and the computer was playing silly "people" , on a go slow and wasting my time as I was getting ready for the road.
On yer Bike  a Government Minister has decreed, and is suggesting that 10% of all journeys made by 2020 will be by bicycle - he must be joking !!!  and that was me today with a six hundred mile trip in the offing.
Headed off to Glasgow at 4.45 a.m., and was stuck in the office there for an hour doing paperwork, before I headed South on the M74, and in rubbish foggy weather,  but as I progressed southwards the sun came out and by the time I got to Risley it was a lovely day ( no rain or flooding).   I was then due to head over to Huddersfield but had been listening to an ongoing traffic incident on the M60 ring road which was affecting the M62 so I had to make for my destination through Central Manchester, which should have been straightforward,  however, due to badly signed roadworks  in Manchester I ended up getting "geographically embarrassed" (lost), and had it not been for an elderly "black" gentleman I would probably still have been going round in circles.
First time I have been through that part of the world, Oldham and onto the A62, up and over the moors , which are affected by snow in winter,  some very quaint little towns in the valleys and into Braithwaite to the Company I was looking for.
Apart from the first five or so miles back to the M62 motorway the roads were fine, and the run back to Glasgow via the M61 and M6 was good.  
The incident on the M60 must have been bad as there were still restrictions ten hours later.

Despite the floods the drought continues, which it will as we need months and months of rain to replace all the missing ground water, a problem which has been getting worse over the years - continual increased irrigation, thousands of new new houses, all drawing on both surface and underground reserves, what do folks expect.  But one lady last weekend wanted her husband to take her to see the drought area, and en route observed that there could not be much of a problem as the canals were full!!!

No comments: