Thursday 26 June 2014

Glorious run in the countryside - who needs to go abroad.

What a beautiful morning when I arose,  and with the sun in the sky I changed my mind about the plans for the day, no point in trailing about when the sun was up.   Managed a bit of gardening, completed a few tasks, but as it clouded oveer I had a change of heart and decided that the call of the open road was too much.    So off I headed on the "Steed of Steel", flask and rolls, and the magic chair of course.  Not really anything planned but I headed off into East Lothian, through Tranent, Gifford, and headed off over the moors to the Whiteadder Reservoir.  Bloody massive wind farm up on the moors, such a disgrace, and probably only about six miles, line of sight from the Torness nuclear power station - talk about an overkill - cheers Mr Salmond.  Reservoir looked very welcoming
  it was really odd to see a long line of ducks swimming back and forth.
 
On to Duns where I dropped in to see Andy Mimms at Border Bikes who was pleased to hear that apart from the bulb dropping off the hooter, the bike had run smoothly through Europe.  Had my rolls and coffee and set off - decided to avoid the A1 so took to the back roads,  through Abbey St Batham and over to Oldhamstocks, then took the wrong road !!  ended up driving through a ford on a stream, then on a steep hill had to dismount and open a gate to proceed.  At one stage I thought I was going to have to do an about turn,  but ended up through Innerwick and Spott. I spotted a watering fountain at the side of the road obviously used in the past by drovers, horse drawn carts , etc.

Now, here I am in the middle of nowhere, sitting on the bike taking the photo when, of all things, a Police patrol car passed, giving me an odd look,  but to see the Polis afloat in such an out of the way place came as a surprise.
Onwards, up and down, narrow roads, etc, and eventually I was rewarded with some stunning views out over the Firth of Forth to the Isle of May and also the Bass Rock


I have to say it was a super run out, peace and quiet, interesting roads, bends, hills, dips, and plenty sheep to avoid.    Nice to be able to avoid the main A1  as I meandered towards Haddington, through Garvald,  Nungate, and then from the market town, back to  the Mercat Grill, Whitecraig along the old A1,    probably out for four hours and covered some ninety miles.
Home to Penicuik,   two dozen unscrambled eggs in the pannier - thank goodness - in time for a bit of tennis ( raining in London - tough luck) and then some footie.
Off on yet another training course in the morning - which I could see far enough, but needs must (and also the Law) .



No comments: