Sunday 15 June 2014

Home, fed and watered, with the Steed safely back in the Garage.

Home now after two long days in the saddle.   Yesterday we set off from Metz early for the long run up to Dunkirque -  Steed of Steel all fed and watered, fully laden and off we set from the garage we had been using
We made it to our hotel after the run, which I think I wrote about last night.  However, evening meal, bike topped up and we set off at 0630 this morning for Calais  to board the train for Dover.   Quite straight forward, rode the bikes on, sat and chatted for thirty five minutes and we were in Dover.   Once again, straight forward, off the train and onto the M20 towards the M25 where we headed northwards.    Bit of a problem when Tom discovered he had a faulty fuel gauge and he ran out of petrol.  Help was at hand as the two Dougz stopped, did a bit of syphoning and we all met a short distance away at the filling station.  Bit strange as this fault has happened with the GS Adventure before  -  worse than this Tom had dropped his Tracker on the road - so so now the local Highways chaps are looking for it as it is still transmitting.
Upwards !!  no Northwards on the M1 , then M6  (M6 Toll) and a stop to top up.
At this point we split up and I headed Northwards on the "Steed of Steel" stopping briefly for more petrol, and then let the Steed have its  head ( being Sunday no speed traps), but I did pass a couple of Police cars.
Fuel warning light came on as I drove into Biggar so a very quick top up  and then onto the last twenty two miles to Penicuik., arriving home at 4.55p.m.  having ridden 494 miles today and 3296 miles overall during the past two weeks.
For me it was a challenge which I thought not possible following my recent medical problems, so praise to Doctors at the Royal Infirmary Edinburgh who had faith enough to encourage me to go on the trip, and more so to Tom, Dougie and Iain who offered me loads of support before and throughout the two week trip. To my fellow travellers , room mates (who put up with my snoring) , many thanks, it was a hoot.
Next up,  British Bike Section rally in Wrexham on 4th July.

No comments: