Friday 8 January 2016

In need of a bit of sunshine

I am sure that the sun is shining above the clouds and certainly is in other parts of the world,  however, - certain parts of the UK are still under water and with little respite from the rain. Now, we have some snow and freezing conditions which will make life even more difficult.  Just a pity that all our Foreign Aid is heading out the country and not being used at home - so sooner or later we will all have to pay - most certainly by increased insurance premiums irrespective as to whether we have made a claim or where we live.      Alex Salmond seen in Inverurie, scene of the most recent flooding in Aberdeenshire,  and sounds as though the lovely Nicola is planning a visit, avec wellies to see for herself !!

Edinburgh City Council are about to rubber stamp the new "widespread 20 MPH" speed limit in the City, so looks as though either walking , cycling or just leaving the car at home will be a realistic option,  for me - I will avoid the town like a plague and do my shopping elsewhere.  THAT IS - providing I can get in and out of Penicuik where planning consent given to house builders is going to lead to massive roadworks on two of the major routes in and out of the town - tent in the back garden and deliveries by an Amazon Drone might be an option.

Once again we are now being reminded of the evils of alcohol, I have no objections to the advice provided I believed it was sensible and realistic -  but having only had a bottle of wine and two glasses in the last nineteen weeks !!! (and now really tempted) it can be done with just a wee bit of will power.  Public houses are suffering, however they actually offer a greater degree of control than supermarkets, and off licences which punt out cheap booze.  I was in a local shop during the week and two customers bought bottles of spirits, obviously to have along with their bacon butties, or instead of !! and before 10 am.
Took myself out for a run on the "Steed of Steel" on Wednesday, lots of water about, rods not too clever, but perhaps my last run out on the Steed for a couple of months while I recover from my impending surgery.

Friends are just back from a rather disappointing stay at the Peebles Hydro Hotel, which has gone downhill over the past few years since I was a member of the leisure centre there.  Bit of a shame as it used to be a "must" to go and stay at,  now part of the Crieff Hydro Group and in need of some refurbishment, and from the comments received sounds as though some of the staff are not quite as caring as others!!
This in stark contrast to the staff in the O'2 shop at Cameron Toll shopping centre who spent an hour helping me out yesterday and at the end of the session I had nothing to buy or pay for - thanks a million, and this is not the first time they have assisted me.

I see that the "Flying Scotsman" train is now back in use again and being run around North Yorkshire, did spot an advert in one of the daily papers marketing trips from York I think. A superb train which held the speed record for years and also did London to Edinburgh non stop - brilliant.

Sadly - breaking news of a shooting incident at a hotel in Hurghada, Egypt, tonight - looks like yet another set back for the tourist industry there.

Enough for tonight - just have to see if I get the chance to write before Monday's appointment !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Took myself off to Peebles on the Steed of Steel couple of days ago, mega wet roads and signs of rising water along the roadside.  Friends are just back from the Peebles Hydro Hotel, which is now part of the Crieff Hydro Group of hotels, and from what I hear it is sadly no longer the prestigious venue I was a member  of the leisure club several years ago e down

No comments: