Wednesday 31 August 2011

Memories of my father, awakened

I was looking through some of my recent photos and found these which I had taken in St Giles Cathedral a couple of weeks ago.
A bit or serious reminiscing as my father left a career in dairy farming at Cockburn Farm, Balerno, way back about 1954/ 1955 and moved to work for the Edinburgh Union of Boys Clubs, then in Alva Street, Edinburgh. I cannot remember much about that but we soon started to visit Dalguise House in Perthshire as that was a base for many of the courses run by EUBC and also the Scottish Association of Youth Clubs - many a good time had there,and I later went there with the Scottish Schoolboys Club who also used camps at Bruar and Calvine.
On the theme of Dalguise, when father moved on to work for Ferranti Ltd at Crewe Toll, Robertson Avenue and Dalkeith, he often had apprentices up at Dalguise House on Adjustment to Industry Courses. I even met one of his former apprentices on my recent Urquhart's coach trip to Lewis and Barra.
The other plaques, one for the girls union I am not sure of , but the B B one William Smith who was a friend of Baden Powell, founder of the Boy Scouts.

No comments: