Wednesday 3 April 2013

What a gem for the family album

Fascinating morning as it turned out to be -  made it to the Western General  first thing to miss the traffic for my appointment and found the place in semi darkness as they carried out a generator test as part of their emergency procedures -  however, the down side was that having drank a litre of fluid pre CT scan I was seriously cross legged with watering eyes !!! But at least the drink now tastes more like water and is easy to take.
BUT  afterwards , popped in to see family and was presented with the attached photos of my ancestors, dating back to about 1890,  with my |Grandfather and Great Grandfather, Grandmother and great Uncles, etc.     But also my Great Aunt Annie, who I can remember visiting as a small child - she was obviously quite old then, had a big brass bed and even bigger panties draped over the bottom of it -  the old fashioned flat door key which you put in the door slot and lifted.    She had a tobacconists shop in Rose Street,  Edinburgh, which is now part of Milne's Bar - and I have vague recollections of going there with my father,  but,  when we had the Sportsman,s Bar,  Musselburgh, we had a customer who had very vivid memories of being sent up to Annie's shop to buy tobacco for his father .  Still got a lot of digging to do but family had a house in Queens Street in 1902 and possibly also Frederick Street. man on the extreme right is my Grandfather, and he looks very like my Nephew - so the genes carry on.
I just hope that having written this that I do not get a letter from one of these Ugandan ' Keynyan scamming teams claiming to be a long lost cousin !!!!!!!!!    THAT IS WHAT THE DELETE BOTTON IS FOR.
 
Made it to 720  Dalhousie Bonnyrigg, last night,  full house, and a candidate, with me doing a wee bit on the floor - and as usual, despite weeks of perfect presentation and preparation, made my usual botch up -  time I gave up.
Next wine lunch at the Mercat Bar is 20th April, looks like a good selection of New World Wines, and if things run to norm, then we will have another great day with Russel and Allison -  then becomes a competition to see who can remember the most !!!!! 
Must say once again that we are getting even more regular visitors to the Mercat grill, Whitecraig,  really nice folks, which make it a pleasure to go to work each day.
 
So far,  I think that I missed out on congratulating Andy Murray on his latest victory and getting his World No 2  ranking -    coincidental that we had the owners of St Andrew's Brewery, which is a short horse canter from Dunblane in to  see us last week.