Monday 16 February 2009

It's a long day / past and ahead.

Just past 12 mn and I have tried to get a bit of a rest before I set off south in a wee while. However, telphones, doorbells and Tv's noises did not make for a sound sleep.

At least I have finished up in The Mercat for a few weeks - this morning I had one of those flash back moments when writing up the soup ofthe day on the chalk board. Reminded me of my first year at Primary School in Balerno, Midlothian , where we learned to write using slate boards with chalk, there was no waste of paper and none of this nonsense which happened later when you got to use the teacher's pencil sharpener and invariably ground your pencil down to a tiny stump.
My Headmaster, Mr. Cooper was one of the biggest, ugliest men I can ever remember, with massive hands - but maybe that was because we were so little. There was one occasion when we were all lined up for "jags" ( injections) by the school nurse - you just stood in a row and she came and jagged each one . I decided that I did not need said jag and took to my heels heading out the school and off homewards into the country towards Cockburn Farm where we lived. However my escape was short lived as I was ovetaken and captured by one of the boys from Primary 7 on his bicycle, put on the cross bar and taken back where the jag was administered, probably with a blunt needle.
There was a problem one day when a stray pig managed to get into the open door of the school house, it ran amok while they were trying to catch it, causing damage and leving a trail of piggy skitters everywhere.

I was only at Balerno for a year or so before moving on to Currie Primary and then Curriehill Senior Secondary School as we had moved on from Cockburn to East Kinleith Farm where we rented a cottage from my father's friend Bertie Barr. At some stage I ended up staying with my Grandmother in Fence Houses, County Durham, for several months whilst my mother was ill in hospital and spent some time at the school there - the only time I have seen the cane used, rather than the strap or belt as was common in Scotland. on one occasion the lad took the cane from the teacher and snapped it - which caused a real fuss , but he still ended up getting well leathered over the backside.

So, here I am , reminiscing at this time of night when I should be getting set for the road and off to Runcorn - another half hour should see me away, and with luck I might get a snooze before I head back to Glasgow in the morning.

I see Andy Murray did well in winning the Rotterdam Open , a rather scrappy match, but never the less a good victory - well done.
More than can be said for David Murray's lot , the Glasgow Rangers who could only manage a no score draw acinst the Celtic at Parkhead - one ofthe commentators reckoned that this was the worst Old firm game in years - and others have said that the two teams are hopeless.

On the other hand , Oh Oh Oh , there were some brutal tackles and sore looking injuries during the Ireland - Italy Six Nations Match in Rome. Ireland sort of ran away with the game by scoring five tries - but both teams are going to need two weeks to recover from their injuries. Interesting to hear that the Irish Team Doctor, O'Driscoll - I think , is leaving to go over to Manchester United F C as their team Doctor - putting money before his Country !!

Must head off - good night .

No comments: