Wednesday 25 January 2012

In keeping, another wee bit o' Burns.

Long day on the road, not helped by high winds and busy roads heading South.

Arrived home and had my haggis, neeps and tatties as per tradition on this day. I did not have to read the Address to the Haggis, as it was featured in full on Chris Evan's Radio 2 Breakfast show, which seems to have gone down really well. So, instead of the Address to the Haggis, I am giving you, "Lines Written on a banknote", which Burns wrote on a Bank of Scotland note on 1st March 1780, having fallen out with "Bonnie Jean's parents" and while he was considering leaving Scotland for the West Indies.

Lines Written on a Banknote"

Wae worth thy power, thou cursed leaf!
Fell source o' a'my woe and grief!
For lack o' thee I've lost my lass!
For lack o'thee I scrimp my glass,
I see the children of affliction,
Unaided, thro' thy curs'd restriction,
I've seen the oppressor's cruel smile,
Amid his hapless victim's spoil
And, for thy potence, vainly wish'd
To crush the villain in the dust,
For lack o' thee, I leave this much lov'd shore,
Never, perhaps, to greet auld Scotland more.

No comments: