Thursday 5 January 2012

Walter Blaikie - R I P.

It is with great sadness that I write about my "Uncle" Walter who passed away quietly in his sleep during the night in hospital.
Walter, who was my father's cousin, was a true and proper gentleman who in his day lived his life to the full. My earliest memories were when my dad took me to see Walter and I knew I was guaranteed a "birl round the block" on the pillion seat of his motorcycle - a wonderful and hair raising experience.
He came out to Newbattle Golf Club to help my father celebrate his 80th birthday, and even then they were as alike "as two peas in a pod".
Through the years I dropped in to see him on surprise visits and try and dig up old history of the family. He, in turn always gave me at least one visit a year and that was to bring a supply of apples from the trees in his garden - which more recently have gone int the apple pies at The Mercat Bar.

WALTER BLAIKIE, R I P.

No comments: