Monday 23 July 2012

Home again in my own wee bed,

Thanks again to the nursing staff in Ward 24,  nice as you were, caring and tolerant as you were , hard to beat my own bed - good place for a spot of R & R for the next couple of weeks, and a perfect excuse to watch the Olympics. I was actually a bit upset at leaving, he ward and my bed mates.
Came home yesterday and after two weeks away it was like heading home from holiday, looking at the garage to see how much a litre of petrol had gone up,  any more holes in the safety barriers, what progress with the road works, and of course, how long was my grass ?  Last point,  great job by my neighbour who had cut it for me on the very odd dry day here.

Totally appalling situations when looking around the world - who says there is no need to be alarmed about Global warming -  vast tracts of central USA, the Worlds so called grain bowl, now arid due to months without rain ; large areas of China under water with flooding and numerous deaths; forest fires in Portugal and Madeira, temperatures over 40 C being common -  England getting well and truly walloped at Cricket by the South Africans where their man clattered the little ball all over the place to break the triple century barrier. 
Polar ice cap has now melted sufficiently to allow regular use of the north west passage as a preferred sea route; and enough melting to have oil companies queueing up to drill for the rich deposits ( and of course make a profit).

Enough said,  more importantly -  Bradley Wiggins was brilliant winning the Tour De France,   a remarkable athlete who has worked extremely hard, along with his team, to get to this stage. Hopefully he will repeat this feat and get himself another Gold medal in the Olympics.

My doziest moment, has to be that having watched the Open Golf for four days I fell asleep and missed the last four holes of the tournament, waking up in time to see Ernie Els being presented with the coveted Claret Jug - I had it in mind that his was going to happen, be a close thing - however the body decided it was time to sleep.  The only consolation I suppose being that I will not receive the usual gloating E mails from my friend in Upside Down land who is quick to remind me how well his fellow countryman have done

No comments: