Saturday 17 October 2009

R I P Betty and John

Bright and very frosty morning today which led into a superb Autumn day, bright sunshine, no wind, which gave us really nice day.

However, I had two funerals to attend, both at Mortonhall Crematorium this morning.

The first was the mother of our friend Sandra, wife of Gordon, Elizabeth (Betty) Meechan, AKA Elizabeth Queen of Moredun, who from the tributes being paid to her was a very remarkable lady. She had seven children and there are currently fifty two grandchildren and great grandchildren. She was a very good dancer and once she retired she started running dance classes and tea dances in Gilmerton. A remarkable lady.

My second was John Housten Spence from Bonnyrigg a member of Lodge 720 and RA 500. Both John and his son Alex worked at Ferranti's and that was where they met my father.I spoke with his son Alex afterwards who told me that Father had interviewed him for his job, then complimented Alex as he had actually interviewed the panel. John had owned two shops in the Bonnyrigg area, but when the supermarkets came on the scene he was shrewd enough to sell up before they destroyed his businesses.

It was just unfortunate the way things worked out as I was unable to follow on and meet up with
the families afterwards.

No comments: