Saturday 3 March 2012

No Home Alone for me - travel the World

It was Robert Louis Stevenson who wrote "Travels on a Donkey", however, this morning I have been on a World Tour (in my armchair), thanks to Google Earth - from Greenland, Alaska, Egypt, West Chester (USA), Blantyre, and back to my doorstep. What an absolutely fascinating application - even saw my old car (now resting in the great scrap yard in the sky). Bearing in mind the break in we had earlier in the week, the downside of Google is that criminals are using the facility to get an idea of what an area looks like before they head out to commit "dastardly deeds".

Woke up at 1 a.m. wheezing and rumbling internally like my central heating system, and with no respite eventually gave in and have been sitting touring the World most of the night.
I see a couple of hits on the blog, one reference to Balerno Railway Station, now long gone and presently the site of the new school, however, I can just remember way back to when the trains did run from there through Currie, Juniper Green, Colinton (through the tunnel) and into Edinburgh to the Caley Station. I am sure it was on the Queens Coronation that everyone in the village gathered in the public park next to the coal depot for the Celebrations and we were given a Commemorative Mug each - not sure if I still have it buried away somewhere. It was a shame that railway line was closed as it would have been a great benefit now to the local commuters - but that was progress when Beeching wielded his axe. As a youngster I regularly used to walk along the railway line from Currie to Balerno, as it was the shortest route, bit tiring on the legs taking small steps from sleeper to sleeper, and every so often we would get down with our ears to the rails to see if we could "feel" an approaching train - not that they went very fast, but we had to dive into the trees and hide.
The other "hit" was possibly someone checking to see if there will be a Mother's day Lunch at The Dolphin Inn, Whitecraig - which of course there is as Claire has made up a "Special menu" for the day.
Big change in the weather this morning, back to the seasonal average, and with a possibility of some snow (maybe), I wonder how much money the shops made in the lead up to Christmas selling snow blades and sledges,and so far - certainly for me, they have lain unused.

Bit of a panic there - it was suggested that I should have a quiet days R & R rather than head for the Wine Tasting lunch at The Mercat Bar, golly gosh, what nonsense, I am sure that the old body will benefit from a bit of fresh air and a few glasses of the medicinal vin rouge / vino tinto / etc.

No comments: