Friday 26 February 2010

Bit of a long haul this time - but the Piper calls the tune

Sitting in London City Airport waiting patiently for the flight home. I arrived here at 5 p.m. and have watched a solid queue of travellers waiting for up to 45 minutes to pass through security screening . BUT it would appear that a new search area is about to be opened in the next week or so to help alleviate the problem.


It has been a long couple of days, travelling yesterday, and going on my walkabout last night. But today was really satisfying, my Open Skies management group doing their CMI course were superb , right on the ball, enthusiastic, and have made it all worth while for me - tires out the old grey matter when you are trying to keep up with them. They now have four weeks to complete their reports, but as I am away as of 14th their target date has been brought forward to concentrate the mind.
Nice bright spot of the day was the young waitress in Johnston's Brasserie, very helpful, cheerful, and even remembered one of the groups special requests from the last trip - well done young lady - I even popped a testimonial card in the box for her.
Took these snaps as I came in yesterday, the River Thames with one of the flood barriers near to the airport, then the docks on the flight path in. The man with the landing wands was using them like a pair of morrakors when we landed and seemed to be dancing away to himself.
The plaque for St Mary's Watch House, I spotted on the wall of a church entrance in Soho, and relates way back to 1627 when the original church was built - there is a fairly lengthy history on the Internet, but it looks like there was a watch house, fire station, etc built on as annexes to the church in the 1800's. the church was destroyed by bombing during the World War II.
While waiting for the flight , which is now delayed, I was talking to a very pleasant lady who works for Drake's of London, who manufacture and sell hand made ties, scarves, cashmere, etc. The web site Drakes of London.Com is well worth a look, some very nice items in their catalogue. It reminded me of my days with the search teams when we visited the textile mills in the Scottish Borders and were permitted to buy cashmere sweaters - nice to wear good quality clothing.

So just got to hang on now and hope there is not another delay , just a bit like my previous trip here, and I am expected to get up and into town first thing a.m. - and to make matters worse it is now snowing in Penicuik.









No comments: