Tuesday 16 February 2010

Worst run on the M74/ M6 and A701 for a long time

Home in one piece, but I am not sure how - that has to have been one of the worst runs to Runcorn I have had for a very long time.

Very hard frost first so i had to watch for black ice on leaving home, through to Glasgow with a bit sleet on the side of the road over Harthill.
From Glasgow south I had thick fog, snow, sleet and at Lancaster a sudden burst of heavy hail stones which turned the motorway into a veritable skating rink. the Astra a few cars in front of me lost control and he skidded into the central reservation and then spun back into the centre lane, stopping facing ongoing traffic - and a white Vauxhall in front of him hit the brakes and shot over the hard shoulder and down into the trees at the side of the motorway. As I was in the outside lane I had no option but to keep going - there were cars stopping to assist.
Reached Runcorn and had a fast turn about, no Christine and Sue in the canteen , one sick and the other on holiday.

Back onto the M62 and within five minutes had ground to a halt - it then took twenty minutes to get by the cause, which was a five vehicle crash on the eastbound lane, a lorry and four cars. It took over an hour before details were being broadcast on Radio 2.
Onwards, and not sure if the man from the Cumbria Road Safety Initiative took my picture from his van parked on a bridge in the middle of nowhere - busy gathering yet more money for the coffers !!

Not having to go back to GlasgowI headed off through Moffat onto the A701 and up over the Devil's Beeftub where I caught up with the midweek "Sunday drivers" - 50 mph maximum and down to 30 mph on the bends - not one , but three of them building up a nice queue - so it was a long slow journey for nearly fifteen miles before I did a bit of passing.

Yesterday it was steam from the ears in the pub, today these slow drivers, I am sure someone wants me to blow a gasket !!

No comments: