Friday 5 February 2010

Busy busy day in the Mercat


Changed computer and managed to acquire a small G &T to help with the writing.

Up before the birds again and beat RGB out the house, as he was also up early and going to his morning meeting with the "Cult".
Thought that I might get plenty done as I was in early, however, with the town filling up with tourists I had a knock on the door at 8 .30 and my first visitors for breakfast. Irish, French, Romanian, English - here for stag parties and also the Scotland v France six nations match on Sunday. I ended up with a group of blokes who started with their breakfast, then drinks, and then lunch - and they will be back.

Young lady and her friends appeared for lunch and to celebrate her birthday, many happy returns. thankfully I had RGB , Fiona and Alana helping me out, and with a full house, we were busy but not as busy as Claire, Jamie and Dee in the kitchen. Even so, I still managed to have a chat with a few of the customers.

Young Scott and Conner arrived to relieve me , Scottie is taking serious stick about his photo on the Burns Night Dinner.

RGB was in fine fettle, managed to get his picture in the Edinburgh Evening News along with an article about the refusal by the licensing board to give him an extension to open on Sunday morning. It seems that the punters can drink in Diane's Pool Hall, or get their drink at the local store, but cannot drink in a well run gastro Pub. Police objected saying that we would be disturbing the neighbours - 10 a.m. to 12.30 a.m. !!!!

Steam was emitting from our ears when the TIE folks arrived to say that they are going to start moving the traffic barriers on West Maitland Street from one side of the street and onto our side on Saturday, which means that there will be even more chaos and congestion when the crowds arrive on Sunday for the rugby, and it will not be to our benefit - not that I will know, as I am off to London for three days to run a training course.

Letter has arrived calling me to a committee meeting of Soutra Isle conclave No 401, on Sunday to sort out my office bearers for next year, however as I am due at the airport this is one meeting i will not make. Unlike, the Squaremen tomorrow at the Edinburgh Masonic Club.
Work to do now.

No comments: