Friday 7 May 2010

Coughing and spluttering to a dead stop - not me!!!

Bit of a day and a half to say the least !! Started off with a trip to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary for an annual MOT and after counting limbs the Dr decided that with breath coming on a regular basis that I was still alive and kicking.

I was using the beloved steed of steel and when filling up with petrol noted that I had last filled up in August 09, so not really getting the best use from the bike.
Headed for the Mercat Bar, via SAC, where Alan and Arlene were in fine fettle - with Alan heading off by train, 1st class as usual to Taunton , Devon, in the morning, no doubt to consume a scrumpy or two. Alan loves trains and was on the special steam train which ran round Fife a couple of weeks ago.
Anyway, the Mercat Bar was busy, I had a stag group downstairs who, after lunch, were heading for the go kart racing at Raceland, by Macmerry - good fun , but hopefully they were not over the limit!!! One lad had flown in from Sydney for the Stag do, was flying back on Sunday night, and then coming back in four weeks time for the wedding - that's friendship.
So back to the story, headed home wards on the trusty steed of steel and got so far when it started to cough, splutter, and lose power, just a bit like me at the moment.



I struggled, losing power up through Comiston and stopped at The Pavilion for a break and a ponder. I set off again, made it through Fairmilehead, but by the time I got to the By- Pass things were bad - coughing worse than me a couple of weeks ago, overheating , losing power so I pulled into the Esso garage.
At the same time there were Police, Ambulance and Fire engines heading south on the A702 to what I later discovered was an accident at the junction of the Bush Loan with A702 where the fire brigade on arrival cut all the doors off the van involved only to discover that the occupants had minor injuries.
So, in the meantime - assisted by the staff at the garage who let me park up out the way, I eventually decided that my only option was to call the RAC for assistance having had a membership for years. Busy time of the day, so it took a while for the patrolman (Ian) to get to me, however, BMW motorbikes are not quite within their normal remit, so Ian had to call for a recovery lorry to uplift and take the bike home. Surprisingly, the recovery lorry from RWB at Loanhead was on the scene twenty minutes after they were called and it was not long before the driver had me and the bike back home. He was just about to sample a nice glass of red wine when he was called out - so that will have to wait till tomorrow night now - but I cannot fault his service.
So all I need to do now is find out why my K75Rt is ill !!!

No comments: