Sunday 9 May 2010

By bus, plane and train to Manchester




























Updating last nights entry which was a quickie as the bar was closing and I was about to be sent to bed.

Took myself and Sparky to Bonnyrigg for the AGM of RA 500, which was good, very good in fact - then had to dash and took the bus via Edinburgh to the airport for my flight south. managed to get an hour in the hospitality lounge so Mr Gordon and his pal Toni C helped me pass that time.
Flight with BMI was on time, but only thirteen passengers in the plane - they stuck me up the back to help balance it - not amused, however the lovely lady with the trolley made sure that Idid not get thirsty.
It was a good flight, took off to the east then swung right round with excllent views of the Forth Rail Bridge and the Forh Road bridge, even saw the cruise liner which I presume was heading for Rosyth. I believe that the Forth Rail Bridge is now up amongst the top tourist attractions iin the World, and so it should be due to its magnificense,
Up, up and into that world of sunshine above the clouds, it is not fair that we are kept in the shade below that level of cotton wool.
Making for Manchester there was a nice view of the Manchester Ship Canal and the Thelmwell Viaduct bwtween J's 19 and 21 on the M6 - and I was over it on Thursday - by car. Heading into the airport, an approach shot, a take off in progress and a shot of what looks like a giant roundabout in the airport, there were three planes on it at the same time.

Into Manchester airport, 15 min walk to the station, then a half hour wait, and another 15 min into the City and then a 15 min walk to the hotel- it is worse than Edinburgh , and I am certainly not looking forward to Monday night. City Centre was very busy with the Man U supporters heading home, who despite winning today have have been pipped at the post by Chelsea. Police were certainly showing a high profile and I spoke to a couple on my way round here. Very tactful PC told a beggar he would get piles sitting on the cold pavement - rather than just kick his ass as I may have done in the past.

Into the Hotel, kitchen closed so I was given a "free tuna piece", even had to pay for my room due to a botch up with the admin set up - never mind - good day had by all. Staff were very pleasant, young waitress, Sarah, a final year student was telling me she is just waiting to see if she has passed her final exams. Good luck.
Made it to bed by midnight, good sleep, had my crunchy nuts so now all set for the day ahead.

No comments: