Thursday 6 May 2010

Yet another day on the road - and not too bad


Things turned out not too bad after all. headed off to the wild west , filling up the car at Hillend en route - had a change of mind and ended up taking my own car rather than the old Ford, which I think on reflection was a good move.

Bit misty and wet as I headed through to meet the waiting Fraser, who was looking a bit rough , but a quick handover and I was off south. Roads were pretty quiet and for once I was not at the mercy of the white van men , although I did catch up with one van , an old Luton , ( in picture) and at one stage I was sitting behind him as he hit 90 mph, bouncing about , but I think he did give himself a fright as he slowed right down.

Weather was a real mixed bag , everything from bright sunshine to thick mist and heavy rain - but the "mail must get through" so I reached Runcorn in one piece.
Jill was in good form , giving me some words of wisdom about the lovely volcanic Island of Hawaii where she and a group of friends went to play golf, claims she did not use the crater of the volcano as 19th hole !! The terrible two, Sue and Christine were on form , however I caused great consternation by NOT having my usual bacon butty - no insult meant but I had already had a couple of really nice fresh ham rolls on the way down. I always check the cold meat counter at Tesco's for the dish of ham ends, which are ideal for a roll or an omelet (Bit of master chef creeping in).

Homewards and again the roads were clear apart from the weather so it was an uneventful run home to Glasgow - and then the usual dodgems on the two lane apology of the so called M8 Motorway between Edinburgh and Glasgow, I would dread having to drive it every day at peak times, must be a total nightmare.
I had my usual rant en route about a) the middle lane hoggers who will not get back into the inside lane - one bloke had miles of clear road, nothing in sight except me hurtling up behind him - oblivious, and the tortoise people, caravans, camper vans towing the obligatory second car and piled high with mountain bikes.
Fastest car on the road today was a Range Rover Vogue who came onto the M6 at Shap and most certainly had 100 plus on his speedo when he passed me and disappeared from sight - fortunately it was not a black one or I would have ranted even more.

Had a bit of a snooze ( much needed) and went to make my X mark on the voting papers, with forty four million registered voters in the UK it will be intreresting to see what % turn out we have this election, especially with the added hype.

I hope my "students" are paying attention, I mentioned the use of light aircraft and trailing banners as a means of publicity and lo and behold we have the UKIP chappie and his pilot coming a cropper during takeoff his morning.

The media cannot make up their mind how big this funnel thing is that BP are trying to put on the seabed, it was 70 tons the other day, and on the radio this morning they said "the 100 ton funnel" and then went on to tell the story of the 97 ton funnel - am I nit picking or what - why can they not get their facts right.

Fairly nice evening so I have managed to get my dues paid to the bowling club at long last, bit late to play in the competitions but I can go for the social games when I get the chance.

No comments: