Monday 8 September 2008

Quite a combination

Left at 3 a.m. and headed south on a nice quiet A702 to Abington where I joined the M74 and eventually stopped at the BP station on the M6 at Carlisle. I had been listening to the finals of the ladies tennis on the radio which was a lot more exciting than the papers or the result would have you believe. I look forward to seeing Andy Murray later tonight.

I spotted that I had a tail light missing so had to go on to the next services before I eventually managed to get a new bulb and replace the faulty one . I have a bit of a thing about "one eyed monsters", and apart from that, something as simple as a faulty light can give the Police grounds to stop the car and check it out.

Steady run south to Runcorn , however about 5.45 a.m. all hell seemed to break loose on the roads, it was as though someone had released all the motor maniacs in the world !!! From a quiet motorway, I was suddenly being passed by every car on the road, all desperate to get to their work early - totally dedicated and deserving to be fully committed - so it was with a degree of relief when I reached Runcorn and had the chance to get a wee rest. But as I dozed off briefly Junior phoned to give me the glad news that he had organised a training course over four nights next two weeks and I was on it.

Anyway, when canteen opened I was greeted by the terrible duo, Christine and Sue, with the added bonus of getting fresh food rather than the last of the trays. Wee Christine is off to Orlando with the family at the weekend so she is hoping that the area will not be effected by the hurricanes.

Jill on Reception was waiting for me, and so, fortunately were the folks in the offices I was heading for. Turn out Liam has left, very quiet lad, who was a trained teacher and has managed to get a new job in a local school - well done.

Fairly quick about turn then off northwards again with reasonably quiet roads and then , then this chappie in a silver Astra, (SP05MHV) tried to drive over me because at 75 mph I was going far , far too slow, but as he was on his mobile phone - and remained on it for the next ten miles, northwards on the M74 from Lesmahagow to Larkhall driving at speeds ranging from 75 mp.h. to 95 mph (yes) bloody fruitcake and on the dual carriageway where he stayed in the outside lane all the way - I have said this before , for a token £10 you can get a hands free and these boys in their Company motors should know well better.

Onwards, met Fraser at Glasgow and then home where I just collapsed into bed, old age does not come alone.

One piece of news, the lady who fell outside the Mercat a couple of weeks ago after she stepped in an uneven bit of the road when getting off the bus had popped into The Mercat Bar to see me with a box of chocolates. Transpires that had she has a double fracture which had needed pinned and will cause her bother for a while.

Now looking forward to the tennis so come on Mr Murray - do yourself proud.

No comments: