Friday 28 November 2008

That was some trail today

Well, as I had seemed to anticipate, it has been a day and a half !! Set off at 4.40 a.m. and stopped for petrol at Hillend, where the attendant was busy doing his jobs, the computer was down so I had to wait and wasted time.
Not a bad run to Glasgow where Fraser was waiting, up to his eyes in paper. His father, David Valentine Phillips died last week - he was a very active freemason and member of the Grand Lodge of Scotland.

Fraser had loads of stuff for me and it took nearly an hour to get it all sorted before I headed south.
Being in the Ford, I was not going to break any land speed records, however, I think that about every other car on the road passed me !!! the usual white, blue and black van men - many who were certainly doing in excess of 80 mph - so is there scope to hit the drivers of goods vehicles with bigger penalties !! thinking of some of the weights of these motors and how their stopping distances are affected.
Reached Runcorn in one piece and as I had suggested , Jill was waiting for me with my ID Badge already prepared - very good , she was telling me that she and her husband are now the handicap secretaries for their golf club - this will be good, she will need a new sideboard for the extra drinks and trophies they will win when they fiddle their own handicaps !!!

Had a longer stay than usual as one of the offices had not received my E mail so I had to wait for them to get their stuff all packed up. In the meantime the terrible two, Sue and Christine in the canteen had kept me my bacon and egg "Bap". They were saying that they plan to go to "The Hard days Night Hotel" in Liverpool for lunch shortly following the recommendations by Mrs. B. and self after our visit there.

Headed north , 1st run in was with two blokes in vans towing rally cars and heading onto the M6, they were lost and cut off several cars in doing so. next - it was going to be someones nice shiny new "Discovery" mobile home - no number plates, trade plates, and the "ferry" driver was "lethering hell out of it", unlike the owners who usually crawl along the slow lane.

Over Shap and it was sleeting with snow on the verges, and a good cover on the nearby tops.

I had heard on the radio that there was a bad crash southbound on the M74 at Lesmahagow
but we were suddenly confronted with a rolling road block on the northbound lane way south where it turned out there was a lorry on the hard shoulder but the 1st lane was closed off.

By this time I was getting well annoyed, steam coming out the ears and blood pressure rising, perfect for a road rage situation !!! later than I had ever been. So by the time I got to Glasgow, there was massive queues heading west, so slow that the car was heating up - so the windows were open , it was cold and the heater was on full blast. We were going so slow I was able to get the picture of the so called modern sculpture / gasometer in Glasgow.

3.30 p.m. leaving Glasgow on the M8 and of course I was now in peak traffic by the time I reached the A720 City by pass and then home for tea.

Currently needing sedated !! Mrs . B. has just tried to tell me she has won an award for being the most tolerant person for the past year NOT - NOT

No comments: