Saturday 26 November 2011

Another sad side effect of the tram works

Having been abroad on the 11th November I missed the Remembrance Day services and events around the City - however I was appalled to see the "temporary " memorial sited at Haymarket in place of the dismantled Hearts War Memorial and Clock. The original memorial was dismantled about two years ago as part of the "ongoing tram project" (Edinburgh's current folly) and is in storage due to be reassembled nearby in due course.








The saddest thing was seeing the wreaths lying on the ground where they had been blown by the wind - I hope that someone in the Tram set up has enough savvy and consideration to have them picked up and reattached to this "sad" edifice - but I will not hold my breath.






































On a day when the front page of the Edinburgh Evening News ran a story about a Chinese student being awarded massive compensation after being struck by a Lothian Region bus whilst out cycling - I spotted two cyclists passing the Memorial having ridden through red traffic lights - I earlier saw another cycling on the wrong side of the road through ongoing traffic opposite the Balmoral Hotel - I seriously think it is time that there was a blitz on these road users who fail to were reflective clothing; have lights on both front and back; or even have bells, etc . as a warning of their approach. Despite my occasional rantings about traffic wardens I am sure that they would love the challenge of sorting out the cyclists. Which reminds me, I still have to see a Traffic Warden on a scooter without displaying "L" plates - are they incapable of passing a driving test ?? or do they not stay in their jobs long enough - or are they involved in accidents with buses.
The last photo shows the chaos being caused at Haymarket by the tram works - which as you can imagine are having a seriously adverse effect on businesses in the area.













No comments: