Thursday 21 January 2010

Free parking on the M6, southbound lane !!!!


Thursday morning, after a reasonable sleep, I popped down for my continental breakfast. Seriously amazed at one "guest" who had his cereal, several glasses of juice, six slices of toast, three rolls, croissants, etc - a big pile and everyone was agag at his antics - however, it looks as though was was either his "piece" for the day or he had several friends up in his room !!
Over to the office where the Security Staff and one of the receptionists told me that the area around the office, Gooch Street and Kent Street were notorious and used by the gay fraternity or pick ups, the car park opposite was raided by the Police regularly to move on "courting couples" - so I will not be stopping there again at night.
Soon out and onto the Queensway heading out of the town - oh my God - how do folks cope with the traffic, there was a breakdown in the southbound tunnel and the traffic jam stretched out onto the M6. The M6, southbound from Spaghetti Junction northwards for about seven miles was nearly stationary turning it into the biggest car park in the UK !!
When I was at Police College there was only one place in Scotland with a minimum speed limit , The Clyde Tunnel, however from what I have seen today I think that there is an English version of the Highway Code, as the 50 - 60 and 70 signs at the side of the road appeared to be the minimum speeds that drivers travelled at around Birmingham.
I was again into the never ending stretches of roadworks controlled by the "average speed" cameras, and once again, they were ignored by many. The Government must be ploughing millions into the upgrade and maintenance of the M6.
About two hours later I arrived at Runcorn and was delighted to see the welcoming faces of Jill and Christine - did the business, had a cuppa ad headed off northwards once again to Glasgow.
I think the Traffic Police were on a bonus trying to make up for lost revenue while the motorway was affected by snow - there were plenty in evidence and all appeared to have a capture !!
The weather all the way north as far as Moffat was really nice so it was a very pleasant run, road quiet all the way to Glasgow, very little snow left on the hills, in fact the worst was in Lowries Den as I approached home.
Nice wee round trip - next please, and it looks as though that will be at the behest of Night Owl and Brown Owl who have just sent me my tickets for the next training job in London, on 8th/ 9th Feb.
Funeral of Micheal Lynch takes place tomorrow at Warriston, no black ties by request, but not sure if I will get there as I am back in the Mercat once again. Find out tomorrow how the numbers are doing for the Burn's Supper on the 30th, next big bash

No comments: