Thursday 21 January 2010

A long day - and NOT TONIGHT sweetie pie


Wednesday, the start of a long , long day.
Just as Mrs B was leaving the Gas Men arrived to do a bit of landscape gardening for me - or dig for coal, by the looks of things. I had no say in the matter, they just sent a letter saying that my gas pipes were to be renewed and the gas meter moved onto the outside wall of the house. Bit of a problem for them as they could not follow the existing piping and could also not find the gas mains in the street - so two days later there are still holes and the main road outside is also the scene of major digging.
Went over to the Gyle Shopping Centre at lunchtime where I witnesses the security guards trying to cope with a persistent nuisance. This was a young man , with obvious learning problems whose mother just put him out and sent him along to the complex, where he was barred because of his behaviour. He was continually barging into shoppers and then making complaints that he was being assaulted - while the evidence of the CCTV showed otherwise - not an easy task.
I had arranged to go to both Birmingham and Runcorn, so for a change, rather than leave very early a.m. I decided to take an overnight run - so at 6.30 p.m. I left and headed south. What a change to drive on quiet motorways, far from the maddening crowd, well that was the plan !!
Superb run as far as J 20 with little hold ups, just took it steady, however, south of the Thelmell Viaduct and most of the way to Birmingham there are major roadworks with massive projects underway. At J15 the motorway was closed completely and I headed off on about a 20 mile diversion, following a Nightfreight wagon, and I have never seen so many speed cameras !!
NEXT - and wait for this - I eventually arrived at Gooch Street, Birmingham, at 12 mn and was content to have a quick cuppa before finding a hotel for the night. WELL, I was sitting there and saw that there were numerous cars on the go, but soon realised that several were actually circling the block, stopping and apparently chatting to each other. In addition there were several black males walking up and down the street. A Police van passed but ignored my attempt to get him to stop - then a silver Civic ?? regd No. V221SOB, who had passed several times, stopped and reversed back up to me - I then decided that it was not a CID car, and it was time for me to move - so whoever the gent was in the car, I was not up for his kind of fun !!!
Managed to get room and breakfast at the nearby Hotel, so it was a bit safer there than spending the night in the car. Next episode.

No comments: