Saturday 23 January 2010

Highland Park and Edinburgh Crystal - a memory.

Last night I ended up having myself a wee tipple at the whisky bottle which sort of brought back a memory or two, so I thought a comment or two might be right.

There are possible a couple of rules when drinking whisky,
a) choose a nice whisky, preferably a single malt, do not add ice, but perhaps just a spot of water to open the bouquet. I have been tippling at Highland Park, a 12 year old single malt, distilled in Kirkwall on the island of Orkney, the most northerly distillery in the UK, which has been in production since 1798 when Magnus Eunson, a local smuggler began with an illegal distillery.
b) use a nice glass, one which you enjoy holding and drinking from - I use either of the two in the photo, both original Edinburgh Crystal, a nice chunky glass or my thistle goblet, both suited to those who prefer a substantial dram !! as a 25ml measure hardly wets the glass.
c) if you have an amicable friend who appreciates such simple pleasures, remove the top and throw it away !! - kind of makes a mockery of the current guidelines on sensible drinking.

It reminded me of a very pleasant morning spent with my friend David McKay ( now living up near the Black Isle), and a colleague, Andrew Stewart, many years ago - ( about 1973).
It was Christmas Eve, and Andrew and I had gone to see David at his home in Hartington Gds.? in Edinburgh to collect some of David's Pentland Copper Craft tableware for a friends x-mas present.
David offered us a whisky and produced a crystal decanter full, and three large thistle goblets, which were filled up to the base of the flute, and duly consumed. He then refilled the three glasses, by which time the decanter was 2/3 empty !! so David suggested that we empty the decanter just to prove that nine glasses were all that it held (approx one litre).
To date I have never repeated the exercise.

No comments: