Thursday 6 March 2008

Our workers


Today I found myself becoming more and more upset by our great British "workforce". Started off as I tried to get out of Penicuik and found a second road closed with barriers, so I had to turn round and head down the main road through four sets of road works in two miles with more obviously about to take place as literally hundreds of cones were being put down near to Straiton. At about every set of works I passed there were hardly any workers so I am of the opinion that the firms getting the contracts do not have the manpower to do the work so they put a token force on show and just let the jobs drag on, much to the inconvenience of the long suffering motorist. Very much a case of "there is a hole in the road and we are looking into it".
Having made it to Musselburgh where Chick was having his usual bottle of Bud for breakfast, off via the car wash to Bookers where their food stocks were not good so I had to head up and across town to the Longstone Depot. En route passing this crowd of "workers" at Fountainbridge just watching the world go by. On the Slateford road, long queues caused by the gas board who are taking an eternity to get their work done, again no work being done and a gang of men sitting in vans, quite content to cause mayhem with their temporary traffic lights.
At Bookers met the new butcher, Colin, a friend of old who gave me a couple of nice steaks to sample, which I did later for dinner, but they were not as good as those we get for the Mercat.
Back to the Mercat, then back again through the gas roadworks and eventually made it home.
Out this evening to the RA at Gorebridge where I discovered why the road was closed this morning - the country road is being resurfaced !! why - when it was in fair condition and our main roads are full of potholes !! just does not make sense.
Good result for Scottish football this evening with Rangers beating the German team 2 - 0.

No comments: