Friday 14 March 2008

The Tortoise people




Off I went, nice clear morning , but I was surprised at the number of lorries early on heading into Glasgow. No problems with white van men, although I was passed tweice by a big blue VW van tramping down the motorway. What i was wondering this morning was about the number of trades people who seem to travel fifty plus miles each way to their jobs - just how cost effective is this and who pays for it.
Fraser was bright as a button and had all my stuff ready for me so it was a quick turn round at Glasgow and off on the long haul south - it just seemed to take ages, and not helped by listening to Terry Wogan on BBC2 so I just turn the radio down when he was talking and up for the music till I reached the reception area for "Smooth Radio". Usyal couple or star turns on the M6, lady in her Chelsea tractor doing about the ton, passed me and then veered straight over onto the inside lane to brake and go off on a slip road !! , another one in a wee Citreon, bouncing all over the road out of control at about 90 +., and yet another who nearly sideswiped an ambulance which I honestly thought was going to roll over in front of me.
At Runcorn, a cheery Jill on reception to greet me and dig into her computer to get an E mail I had just been sent, had I not been in Runcorn I could have been in Aberdeen - no difference is there. Lorraine and the folks in DNA were surprised how cheery I was this morning !! just how bad have I been in the last few visits ! but again, up , up and away ( which is Superman's saying, not the Lone Ranger who said Hi Ho Silver away) and back on the road.
By now the morning was bright, the usual bampots were playing silly buggers on the four lane bit between the M61 and M55 which helps keep the adrenelin flowing - BUT BUT , worse than that the "tortoise people" were on the move - loads of them with their camper vans, vans and trailers and caravans, adorned with bicycles, boats, kitchen sinks, etc. all heading north probably to The Lakes or further. There were a couple on the TV a few weeks ago who lived in a sleeping bag under trees, doing no harm - but this lot - maybe Chancellor Darling is having a go at them and their big motors.
Home via Moffat where I took the photo of the hills near to the Devil's Beeftub, and then up the road which was busier than usual. In Broughton, near to the edge of the world, one of Lothian and Borders Police, finest was filming the speeding motorists !! obviously nothing better to do with his time.
Home to find Ann still stripping in the hall!! - looking tired and should have been resting. She saw the Doctor this morning and is back to the hospital in April again.
Checked out the Aberdeen job where the problem was not as bad as first thought, but I might still have to go up next week depending on what else happens over the weekend.
Wee shot of shut eye, then off to Costco and Musselburgh where the troops are now aware we are leaving, so it was a case of "Cheerio, Cheerio" from Murphy, whilst others said they would rather that we stayed on. Q . How do you get barred from a Chinese Restaurant? well one of our clients did.
Had to go into the Cellar so Tam the man gave me a hand and did something I have never seen in three years, he came down the shute on his backside, giving both me and Elaine a fright - and a laugh. As Joanna was right up to date with this mornings blog I have included a photo of her and Tam.
Currently taking some quinine based fluids to see if I can stop the leg cramps tonight!!!
Now a wee bit tired but looking forward to my day out and dinner tomorrow.

1 comment:

Minx2581 said...

Hey Porkchop!
Well I have some bad news for you! Its not only the white van men and "tortoise people" that you wil have to worry about when you are on the road now as I start my driving lessons on monday morning! xx Michele C xx