Thursday 22 May 2008

Moving the goalposts

Well, Wednesday was as expected yet another day of racing against the clock, but I managed to gets lots done, even had a wander round Tesco's with frequent stops for wee chats to folks I had not seen for a while. Then to Beatson's the builders merchant for some shelving and light bulbs. Bulbs were supplied by a Company run by one of Graham's former friends (John Moffat) who moved away from the area - so I was not surprised to see that some of the packets were wrongly labelled!!

Managed to find a new home for the three piece suite, two tables and chairs and a TV set - thanks , it was better than them going to the skip.

Ultimately the phone went with Graham and Chris wanting to know when I was going into the Mercat as they needed a laptop (quickly), so off I went complete with lap top and shelving and ended up putting yet another shelve in the kitchen cupboard.
The bar was busy with supporters watching the final of the Champions League, which went on and on, with the twist in the tail as Man.U. won on penalties.

Graham's cousin Jonathon was in the bar so we had a chat and he tried to explain that Armani jeans costing £140 a pair were better for "pulling the birds" than pairs at £15 from Matalan !! - maybe I am not quite the fashion guru I used to be.

Struan and Claire were listening to the game on the radio in the kitchen which was about six seconds ahead of the satellite signal on the bar TV's, so Struan was cheering ahead of the incident on the TV and running through to tell the bar staff before they saw the event.
I left at half time and headed home to watch the end of the game on TV there, a bit puggled and with a sore back.

Up again at 6.30 a.m to get the underlay up and out the way and start preparing the floors for the carpet fitter. Must say that the main man was superb, arriving at 9.45 and leaving at 5.30 a.m. with a helper for a few hours, and at one point it took four to carry in the carpet and manhandle it into place. The guy who made the first cuts deserved a medal- these modern carpets are nothing like the quality we used to get - or am I getting old.

Mrs. B and her pal, Irish Christine headed off for the day to keep out the way, however when she got home she had kittens, the carpet was so much lighter than she had expected !!!
Then - there the start of a new list of jobs needing done!! - later.

Had a call from Shezad at the College in Edinburgh , good to hear from him as he was trying to give me some work - lecturing !! However I will need to go and see them next week and see what thyey have in mind as the selected subject is something I have never dealt with before.

No " Satan's TV" ( Setanta) in the house so I am having to listen to the football on the radio, but it gives me the chance to do more than one thing at a time. Graham was trying to get me to go along to the Craigiebield but there is still time.

Will need to get my bag packed for the morning to get away to Cardiff - poor Ann is being left sitting in a guddle- and it will have to stay that way till next week.

No comments: