Friday 25 January 2008

A haggis a day

I was kicking myself this morning, arrived at the local Tesco's to find two giant haggis dancing about at the entrance and tarten clad ladies dishing out leaflets all about haggis and Robert Burn's , Scotlands famous poet, whose memory is celebrated today. I had no camera with me and by the time I returned the two haggis had disappeared, possibly eaten by the hungry locals.

Tonight we are off to The Mercat Bar, where there is to be a special Burns supper, which if it is as good as the previous events will be excellent.

While I am out Ann plans to have her own wee Burns supper with the above haggis accompanied by mashed tatties and neeps. Obviously feeling a bit better today.

Weather is atrocious, pouring with rain and blowing a gale, with higher winds forecast for later on, however this did not deter Irish Christine from battling her way up to bring cream cakes and have coffee with us this morning.

Wee Story - I was listening to the wind this morning and thinking it was time to get back under the covers when I remembered this incident.
Many years ago when I was a young policeman here in Penicuik, there were a number of thefts of milk and bread which ws being left by the delivery men at the back of one of the shops. I decided to set up a "watch" and try and catch the culprits, so about 5 a.m. one cold morning, I set off to hide in a nearby garden and watch the shops. I also took with me my army sleeping bag and got into it and hid amongst the vegetables. The inevitable happened, cosy as toast, I fell asleep and only woke up when the dayshift Sergeant started calling for me on the radio at 8 a.m.
The householder was a wee bit surprised to see me rising from the vegetable garden as I scooted back to the office with some excuse as to why I was working overtime !!

No comments: