Wednesday 9 July 2008

A bit more interesting for me




Up at 4 a.m. and out the door by 4.45 a.m. - my first stop was about 50 yards down the road when I came across a hedgehog trying to cross the road - it dithered back and forth and eventually changed its mind and went back the way it had come.
Onto the M8 and this time it was not the white van men, but this chap with his big pick up type truck , Toyota, with a trailer and a hot rod car on the trailer. So much for a speed limit on towing- he was doing over 80 mph when he passed me - not once, but twice as I had passed him on the incline at Harthill.
Into Glasgow where Mr. Dunk was waiting with my work, an interesting assortment today, and I left sharpish at 6.30 a.m. with a fairly clear run south . Only major excitement being an overturned lorry within the north carriageway of the M6 in the major roadworks at Metal Bridge, Carlisle. I have no idea how it managed to topple in what is a strictly controlled 50 mph area, and early when the road was not too busy - the north side of the road was open to one lane with big queues forming.
Reached Runcorn to be met by Jill who had spotted the message in yesterday's blog. I am always in a tearing hurray so we never get the chance to chat for more than a few minutes at a time, before I am off again.
Dropped off and did my pick up - but dashed into the "canteen" where one of the Christines had set aside a nice bacon butty for me - the other " little" Christine was off on holiday again ( a likely story - probably still sobering up !!)
Heading north and I met my other pet hates - this time three different black Range Rovers and a big black Mercedes 4 + 4, all in the outside lane, doing well over the limit and they come up behind you like tanks with no intention of slowing down.
Reached Carlisle and went into the "Golden Fleece" services for petrol - some of the drivers said that the M6 was still blocked northbound due to the overturned lorry and advised me to detour north via Longtown and back onto the M74 at Gretna. I did this and it was a piece of cake, no holdups, etc. What I did see was the young lad who is skateboarding from John O'Groats to Lands End, for a charity, who I passed on the A7 as he headed south at Longtown towards Carlisle. There was an item about him in the paper at the weekend.
Back on the M74 and it was virtually deserted as I think everything had been stopped at the accident to let the crane lift the lorry ( it took them 7 hours to clear the road!!)- so it suited me with a quiet run to Glasgow.
The weather was super all day, apart from in Runcorn and in Penicuik, nice bright sunshine, etc.
Made it to Glasgow in good time, popped into the office there and headed home for a well earned nap. Outside the office was the Honda Gold Wing motorcycle which I commented on a couple of weeks ago as the rider was leaving and smoking his fag - this time it was just parked up, a lovely motorcycle.
Having come to I had my dinner watching the programme on Longleat Park / Zoo, followed by those constantly battling occupants of Meercat Manor - both programmes are facinating and I find it amazing how much research is being done, and so well.
Time to get the feet up again.

No comments: