Monday 7 July 2008

More than a lump in the throat

4 a.m. , wide awake and eventually got up at 4.45 a.m. and sat downstairs reading , while Graham appeared and left for work, and then Mrs. B. arrived.
Pottered all morning till it was time to leave for the hospital in haddington, however as usual arrived hours early so we took a walk around the town centre and even although I was not able to eat or drink we went to get coffee and cake for Ann. Of all the cafe's to choose we went into the one where we found Big Michelle ( ex Sportsmans), and along with her was the wife of a former colleague, Keith Davie. It was really nice to see both of them and looking well.

Arrived back at the Roodlands Hospital at 1340 hrs and into Ward 2 where the staff gave me a seat by a bed and some forms to fill in . Usual blood pressure, etc, and gthen the Doctor came to see me and persuded me to have the examination done with only a throat spray rather than be put out. Not amused, but I was then led like a lamb to the slaughter, and caused great excitement when I asked to take their picture. The Doctor, although a handsome soul was a bit shy, so one of the nurses stood in .
Blooming Nora, this was not funny any more as my throat was numbed and I was laid on my side with a mouth guard in place, then the fun began, swallow, gagging - bile, etc., fortunately it only lasted about five minutes before the tube ( camera and lights ) came out. So, end result I was told that I now have to go back to see my own GP and will probably need some more tests done later. Other than that , lose weight and stop drinking - where have we heard this before?

Mrs. B. was surprised when I appeared a short time later and we headed home for something to eat - having had nowt since last night.

Later on I managed to contact friends ( Antoinne and Francoise) who live in Penicuik's twin town , L'Isle Sur la Sorgue, Vacluse, France - who after years have just bought a computer so rather than struggle in terrible French on the phone I can now write in terrible French. All being well we will try and see them later in the year as we have not been over since I went there in 1996.
Sore throat now, getting tired and apart from that "New Tricks" is on the TV.

No comments: