Saturday 20 December 2008

Come dancing final, and memories.

Just watching the final session of this nail biting competition which brought back a few memories, just for Big Archie.

When I was just a slip of a boy, my mother decided that I should go to Scottish Country Dancing classes held in the Scout Hall at Juniper Green , by Currie. Me, I hated being there, the only little lad being pursued by the girls who all wanted a boy to dance with . Eventually I just went and locked myself in the toilets with the result that the dance teacher told my mother not to send me again.
In later years, while a Cadet in Durham ( about 18) it was decided that the cadets should learn ballroom dancing so that we could get off our bums and mix with the guests at the annual ball. A professional dance intructor was brought in and she had a hard time working with guys with two left feet - anyway , I enjoyed dancing with her , gliding round the floor just like twinkletoes, no mishaps, etc., except that i could not dance with anyone else. She later explained that she knew where my feet were going before I moved, that way she could get her feet outr the way before I stood on her toes.
Next best , I took part in a "twist" competition at a wedding in Morpeth, did a strip twist to Chubby Checker's " Let's Twist Again - so obviously I won , and was awarded a half pound tin of tea as the prize . Suppose thats why they call them Tea dances.
Since then , it's safer to sit on the sidlines and watch.

Belated Happy birthday Rob ( upside down man ) from all here in sunny Scotland. Graham did remember but was just a bit late !! So we hope you had a good day yesterday . Graham , after half a glass of wine has just had a wee dance - getting carried away by the brilliance on the TV - he was Not Not quite in the same class.

No comments: