Saturday 13 December 2008

A good social




Well, now Saturday a.m., have been up for a while with a sore back, so now waiting to try and contact the wonderfull Cruella !! to get some work done on it.

Obviously I survived the trip to the hospital, where all they did was take blood, tell me to behave, but I need to go back for another go with the old tube down the throat - ugh !! just gagging at the thought of it. Headed home, starving and managed three rolls with bacon and egg before I felt fed. Bit much but I enjoyed them.

Spoke to Gordon Leitch on the phone and discovered that it was his birthday (again) I am sure he has several each year because he likes to get presents., Anyway he wa being treated to luch at the Caledonian Hotel by his daughter.

Had a nap p.m. which is not like me, but feeling rough, anyway , up, up and away ( just like the Lone Ranger) and headed into town to meet up with Gordon and Sandra (photo) at the Edinburgh Masonic club where there was a social on. The traffic heading into Edinburgh was murder, got held up in the City, tried several detours and made it the long long way round, and a bit late. Gordon was trying to keep seats as the place was heaving, being a "Life members Night".

Anyway we settled down and there were two cabaret acts, a female singer, Jenna Highfield from Durham, and a comedien, Paul Phillips - an Irishman from Blackburn. Both acts were excellent and it was a nice blend. The resident band , The Kenntones, do well considering that they were in their heyday in the 60's and 70's - .

Chips and Bingo - you cannot beat it, but I did win a bottle of gin in the raffle.

Met Linda and May (photo) in the hall, they were at both the BBQ and the recent ball we were at, with May's husband Jack being in the SESLTA.

So we headed off home, the town is a nightmare late on , crowds milling about and police cars zooming left right and centre. I think that the poor motorist is at risk from the fruitcakes wandering about.
I had meant to say , either yesterday or Thursday that writing E mails is one thing , but sending cards / letters is another - it is nice to see the response to the annual x-mas card with the wee note in it, and to get cards or follow up phone calls.
We had a call from Catherine and Andrew in Blantyre with an update on how the children and grandchildren are doing - a nice message from the illustrious Mrs Norma Graham, a letter from former Scouting friends Rae and Margaret who I met years ago at Gillwell when I was doing my Wood Badge training - the are more active than ever, but that's what keeps us young.
So, once I stagger downstairs, a few jobs to do, then into town and tonight we have a nice dressy up dinner being held in the Dynamic Earth Centre, Edinburgh, which should be nice.

No comments: