Tuesday 10 June 2008

Ian Fawcett - R.I.P.

I have just heard that Ian Fawcett died within the past couple of days, aged 70 years.

Ian was another former Police Officer in the old Lothian and Peebles Constabulary who worked with me for a while in Penicuik, and then he was transferred to the CID and based at Dalkeith.

When I worked with him he was a very quiet individual, who enjoyed tinkering with and rebuilding cars, and then after he was allowed to purchase his first house he really got into into the big time DIY , extending his house at Waulkmill, Penicuik, then built another in Auchendinny, and latterly was living in Peebles and renovating his house there. Way back you always had to live in a Police house and had to apply to the Chief Constable for permission to move out which was generally refused unless you had at least ten years service.

I remember that he loved smoking cigars and always had a small one on the go - at one time I came back from holiday and gave his a supply of large cigars which he used to smoke at night but they were so strong that he ended up burning his throat.

To his wife and family I send my condolances.

No comments: