Tuesday 14 August 2007

Every day is different

I had no real plans for the day and therefore thought that it might be quiet, boring, etc, with little to report.

However, I eventally headed off this morning and went to see my friend Grant who has a photo /processing shop in Bonnyrigg. He is another "technocrat" or whizz with computers and machines and tries to keep me right but I just get lost. Here I was getting yet more photos developed which could be in this blog somewhere.
Grant has a scooter, but will soon become the proud owner of a motorcycle - which surprisingly will cost him less for insurance as there are more accidents with scooters than bikes.

From there onto the Sportsman's at Musselburgh, where one of our oldest clients, Andrew or "Bing" as he is known, was there. 90 years old, comes in every week and every week he brings in a vanilla slice for me and Graham. He has been quite a character in his day, married for 65 plus years and his dear lady wife is 93. I took his photo with Kirren, she was mortified as he would have loved to get her sitting on his knee.

After leaving the pub I headed home and at one point saw the flashing blue lights and heard the siren behind me and having pulled over discovered that it was an ambulance vehicle with "Drivers under instruction". It disappeared ahead of me and turned off up into the country. However, a short time later whilst in the bank I heard and then saw the same vehicle speeding through Penicuik. Much to my surprise a few minutes later I found it parked in the High Street where the trainee drivers were changing seats for their next "blast" through the countryside. I do not know how many times I have heard people saying, on seeing hearing Police and ambulances passing, " They must be in a hurry for their tea". In this instance I thought it might have been better if they had gone out into the country and changed drivers.
Going back thirty plus years we had an ambulance driver who certainly did use his siren when he was in a hurry to get home, it was a standing joke, but everyone knew him and he was a great paramedic.

Eventually got that Indian meal, very nice, but I thought a bit expensive for what we had as a carry out.

Although I am not an ardent football fan I sat and watched Glasgow Rangers playing Red Star Belgrade . I thought it was an exciting game, however Red Star were certainly dirty players and lucky not to have anyone sent off for the blatant fouling. Good result for Rangers and well done Nacho Novo. There will certainly be a hostile crowd in Belgrade for the replay.

Quote for the night - "Places that are empty of you are empty of all life", Dante Gabriel Rossetti, (1828-1882)

Ok, "Tomorrow is another day"

No comments: