Thursday 16 August 2007

Just like in the movie - I think !!

I think "Groundhog Day" was the correct comparison for me - yesterday all went wrong so I tried again.

Made it into Edinburgh where weather was not too bad, breakfast roll at the Mercat then off to the British Heart Foundation to lodge some cash which the patrons of The Sportsman's Bar had collected in memory of Gundy who died two weeks ago.
The sad thing was that Gundy, living alone lay for a couple of days undiscovered. Just what does it say for the society we live in. I remember that when my father, RGB ( Snr) was alive he always drew over his downstairs curtains last thing at night and first thing in the morning opened them up. His neighbours in Currie knew this and if they were not open by 9 a.m. they would go look and see.
In my case I had a lovely lady, Margaret who would watch for our kitchen light to come on in the morning and then ring me - if I did not get the call one of the family would go and check things out. Some folks do similar things with "fish" signs or cards in the window and the posti or neighbours can be on the lookout.

To progress, I headed to the Standing order where Archie and Tracy were on duty, had a blether , and also to Archie's dad , (old Archie) - seems it is the done thing for the siblings to keep Ma or Pa working as long as possible.

I then popped into the Lane Bar, George Street, where I met a lovely young lady, one Arlene Stuart of Forth 2 fame who does a daily show from the bar during the Festival. She was kind enough to chat for a few minutes before going on air. There is no doubt that she is a lot better on the eye than my friend Bob Malcolm, but as Bob is always up early he has an excuse !!
She was very complimentary of the dreaded Budgie, Bluey, who insists that I always carry his photo!! Clever bird , (I have a card which says, if found drunk please contact Bluey.)

Arlene was asking if I was going to be controversial in my blogs ? That is the Million Dollar Q, as there are, like many things I would like to say. Edinburgh Council and the bullies within the workforce; the tax man who cometh and hath no mercy; traffic wardens who seem to be able to hide behind lamposts; smokers who do not see fag ends as litter, and so on and on and on. Maybe laterI will enlighten further.

I eventually made it to Princes Street Gardens (or the big park as I heard somone calling it) where, lo and behold the Mini tattoo was on. It was really superb, massed pipes and drums, steel band from Trinidad, Scottish Country Dancers, marching bands, just wonderful and the rain managed to stay away. Afterwards I managed to chat to a couple of the bandsmen, one, an army officer, immaculate in his best dress, said that he was having a ball and enjoying his stay in Edinburgh. My chatting companion during the show was a lady who was home from South Africa for several weeks and then taking her father out there for the winter. She said that she was getting homesick after a long time away and was considering coming back to Scotland again. The quality of life was changing there and personal security for expats was a big problem.

The members of the Middlesex County Volunteer Band, in full period costume caused astill when they all paid for and went on the Carousel ride in the Gardens, several members had obviously not heard that it was not the done thing to brandish sabres, whether on real or dummy horses.

En route back to The Mercat, I met Danny Fair, the Doorman at the Caledonian Hotel, resplendent in top hat and tails. he is a wonderful man who I have known for a very very long time. Not everyone is aware that Danny was a master glass cutter who cut and designed at The Edinburgh Crystal Co., now closed, suffering the same fate as many with the need to reduce costs by buying in from abroad, quality failed and people ultimatley lost thier jobs.

Back at the Mercat I had a wonderful croque monsieur (cheese piece), made by the lovely Clair. Bar was busy with Graham and Ian working hard to keep up with the orders.

There was a new act on downstairs in the Free fringe, a young lady comedien who whose risque sense of humour ( not quite a family show) seemed to be going down well with the crowd.

Said too much tonight BUT - when the mood.

No comments: