Thursday 30 August 2007

I thought he was dead

Yesterday, while driving past Pinkie Playing fields, Musselburgh, I remembered going there way back in the 60's to take part in the County School sports championships, where, despite not being a great big lad actually won the shot putt competition.

About two months later, having by then left school at the summer break, I had moved to Durham where I had joined the Police cadets. As part of our induction we were doing athletics, sports, etc., including the shot putt. Our instructor (Sgt Richardson) gave me the shot and was standing in my line of fire, I asked him to move as my aim was a bit erratic, but he ordered me to throw - which I did, striking him on the chest causing him to fall down and pass out.

There was obviously a bit of panic as we thought he was dead !! I was later reprimanded for hitting him, and despite the other cadets all insisting that I had warned him it was apparently my fault for not being more insistent.

No comments: